NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum

NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum (https://nas-row.com/index.php)
-   Defender Technical Discussions (https://nas-row.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Non OEM oil filters? (https://nas-row.com/showthread.php?t=1917)

AdamSanta85 04-10-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1of40 (Post 16585)
Back in Oct/Nov I had my oil tested and it came back with very high marks. I was curious if my oil would show high level of wear metals but it didn't. It also didn't show signs of coolant or exhaust gases. I was happy to hear that because my 90 is still on it's factory gaskets and seals. It leaks at the valve covers enough to be messy but it's not leaving a mess on the garage floor.

Nice. I just ordered a Black Stone kit and will be having mine tested pretty soon.

Red90 04-10-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1of40 (Post 16585)
The point of reference that I go by is my 90 has 170K miles, of which I've put 140K over the past 14 years. I have always used whatever non-syn oil that is on sale with whatever free oil filter that comes with it. I also take it to my local tire shop for their basic $19.99 oil changes w/ free tire rotation.

I change my oil between 3K-5K miles.

Back in Oct/Nov I had my oil tested and it came back with very high marks. I was curious if my oil would show high level of wear metals but it didn't. It also didn't show signs of coolant or exhaust gases. I was happy to hear that because my 90 is still on it's factory gaskets and seals. It leaks at the valve covers enough to be messy but it's not leaving a mess on the garage floor.

I feel like the biggest key to longevity is drive these things and change the fluids often, not so much what fluid/filter within reason.

There is probably nothing to be gained with frequent oil changes. If you do oil analysis, you can set the change interval based on the soot levels, assuming there are no other issues. Wear metals rates on these engine are as good as any other modern engine as long as oil is changed before soot levels become too high or the oil breaks down.

The biggest problem with non synthetics is they do not have a suitable viscosity range for cold starts at arctic temperatures. If you live somewhere warm, then any 15W-40 diesel engine oil will do as well as anything else.

DiscoDavis 04-10-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 (Post 16586)
Nice. I just ordered a Black Stone kit and will be having mine tested pretty soon.

off topic but yeah you remind me I have tried twice within the last year to get them to send me a kit and it never arrived. wtf

AdamSanta85 04-10-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscoDavis (Post 16588)
off topic but yeah you remind me I have tried twice within the last year to get them to send me a kit and it never arrived. wtf

I ordered a kit maybe mid last week and it came already.

1of40 04-11-2018 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 (Post 16590)
I ordered a kit maybe mid last week and it came already.

That was my experience too. After sending in the first sample they sent me new containers for the next test as well.

I?m pulling an oil sample from our LR4 this weekend. A 2016 SCV6 w/10k miles on Mobil1 and an $8 filter off Amazon to see what?s actually happening in there. I want some data before I allow my oil to go to 15k mi before changing and I want to see if the $8 filter can do the jonlb an OE $40 filter should.

Napalm00 04-11-2018 09:39 AM

Holy balls the lr filter is $40 ?

1of40 04-11-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napalm00 (Post 16596)
Holy balls the lr filter is $40 ?

On sale now https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Land-.../dp/B00FI7XIDQ

Red90 04-11-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1of40 (Post 16594)
... and I want to see if the $8 filter can do the jonlb an OE $40 filter should.

Oil filters will not affect the oil analysis. They are only there to catch large bits, so that the oil circulation system does not plug. All that matter with a full flow oil filter is that it does not fail in service.

In order to remove contaminants like soot, you need a bypass oil filtration system. With that in place, a good engine and oil, 100000 mile oil change intervals have been safely performed. There is no benefit to a system like this on a small engine, as the oil cost is lower than the required filters and analysis.

Classic4X4 04-11-2018 10:27 AM

Just sent my oil out for testing too. Always good to have the peace of mind

Napalm00 04-11-2018 10:30 AM

I'd probably be testing other filters at that price too