What have you done today to your Land Rover

LostChord

Well-known member
Pulled the transfer case and gearbox...don't mind my buddy in the pics. Used a floor jack and engine hoist with straps. Job turned out to be way easier than either of us thought is was going to be. Now, getting the new ones back in.....

Separated them and removed one at a time. Didn't get a pic of the gearbox coming out, but same method as the TC. Slid them both out under the truck without the need to jack or lift the truck. Had to angle the gearbox bellhousing, but it cleared the frame no problem.

IMG_0125.jpg


IMG_0127.jpg


IMG_0128.jpg


IMG_0129.jpg


IMG_0130.jpg


IMG_0131.jpg


IMG_0134 (1).jpg
 

Dan kemper

Founding Member
Callsign: KK6ECF
Busy weekend wrenching. I got the ashcroft Lt230 with atb in, adjusted linkages, installed new media player, new rear links, installed newly rebuilt rear gbr driveshaft, found and fixed a small exhaust leak (exhaust shop missed a seam) and took it for spin with tunes playing! First time i can recall having a rover with no slop in the drivetrain.
 

Attachments

RDavisinVA

Well-known member
Nawh ya didn't.
You were too busy following-up with the Hamburgler on his trip into the Dakotas.
Trey did all that work, muthalikka!
 

Uncle Douglas

Well-known member
Nawh ya didn't.
You were too busy following-up with the Hamburgler on his trip into the Dakotas.
Trey did all that work, muthalikka!
Trey was working on a Cummins install while I worked on the Puma you frigging mynah bird.

The ford tdci/Puma engine was forced into the defender and the factory install is a total cobble job. While the Cummins 2.8 and the Rover tdci applications share many of the same system architectures, the factory rover puma setup is absolute crap. Will post some comparison pictures and possibly test drive comparison videos. Puma engine really lets the rest of the truck, which was the most highly evolved version of the defender, down.
 
Last edited:

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I've got some catch-up to do:
Over the summer I...
  • Got new BFG MTs
  • Carpeted the interior of the cargo area. (By the way, I used a simple hot glue gun to hold the carpet to the sides. It comes off with a pull, but I've had carpet tacked to the sides of my interior in this way for over a year without it falling off on it's own.)
  • Applied sound deadening stuff like THIS to much of the body panels, and THIS to the engine bay.
  • Opened up the fuel tank and adjusted the float so that the gauge is actually within 1 gallon of accuracy at half a tank, and less than .5 gallon accuracy at 1/4 tank. When I'm at half a tank, I really have used almost exactly 10 gallons. The gauge is still a bit inaccurate at 3/4+, but it is realistic now.
  • The cheap Chinese LED headlights have been operating really well for over 6-months now. I found a used set of Hella lamps for $20 in fine condition.
  • Fixed the stupid wiring issue that was causing the engine to not start.
  • Wired in a Bluesea battery switch under the driver's seat that allows me to select all OFF, Engine ON, or Engine and Winch ON. My ancillary fuses are also going to be wired to this in the next few days.
  • Put a "master" valve into the hot water pipes leading to the heater core so that I can ACTULLY turn off heat in the summer months.
  • I finally have a HORN.
 

JimC

Super Moderator
Staff member
I de-caged the 110 with Adam C‘s help. Not only does the cage need re-powder coating in a couple places, I had originally installed the wrong seal between the roof and the side panels. I rectified this with the right late-model part, which is a smaller profile than the old series pieces (series pieces available if anyone needs them...)

I also installed updated seals on the tops of the b-pillars. This new part is intended to be used all by itself, but I wanted to match the old look with the rubber channel, so I relieved the foam to allow a section of channel to fit as well. Part number shown for anyone who cares.
 

Attachments

RDavisinVA

Well-known member
Trey was working on a Cummins install while I worked on the Puma you frigging mynah bird.

The ford tdci/Puma engine was forced into the defender and the factory install is a total cobble job. While the Cummins 2.8 and the Rover tdci applications share many of the same system architectures, the factory rover puma setup is absolute crap. Will post some comparison pictures and possibly test drive comparison videos. Puma engine really lets the rest of the truck, which was the most highly evolved version of the defender, down.
I have only seen 3 of the Rover tdci vehicles and was not impressed with how the factory did a quick retrofit of a Ford power plant and then couldn't shut the hood.
I guess the Puma hood was one good thing to come out of that application.

Yeah, the Cummins work you have accomplished in a better example than the factory.
muthalikka
 

Uncle Douglas

Well-known member
Not a fan of a puma hood created to cover the poorly done cobble of putting a transit engine in a defender but @ least they keep people from putting the spare on the hood.
Going to do a few comparison pictures/ videos.
 
Top