Brap Brap went the OM606, A 110 build

expanse

Well-known member
USPS surprised me with a delivery last night. New set of XNZ bits show up. "Impact" grade MIC buggers. Did the trick and the head is off. strip down for cleaning, exhaust stud extraction, measurements for a block off plate on the head diesel heater port, valve guide wear check, new stem seals, upgraded springs & retainers.

20200506_191507 (1).jpg
t
20200507_085432.jpg

20200507_085442.jpg


yummy
20200507_090508.jpg
 

expanse

Well-known member
Any more updates on this project?

Not much of an update right now. Covid has really tossed a wrench into life up here thats taken months to feel the brunt of.

I started tackling the 5 seized glow plugs two or so months ago so I can strip the head down and send off for some love @ the machine shop, but I've not finished that task yet.

I've also changed platforms from my Defender 110 to a Series 1 with redesigned chassis i'll hand build, defender axles/suspension, and some big tires. Picked this up over the summer for the body work. (frame/axles and rear tub are for sale)
20200724_142618 (1).jpg




I also had a few items I've been on the hunt for need rehoming, so this projects budget has somewhat been reallocated to neat-o things like this Schmidt snow blower for the Unimog.

20201024_104825.jpg
 

expanse

Well-known member
11 months later; 2nd kiddo arrived, city code violations, moving to a new shop, pandemic aftershocks with wife's business, childcare meltdown and recovery, and a dozen other dumpster fires.

Now back to the show:

This 606 has exhaust studs made out of some seriously shat metal. I think I got 2 or 3 full studs out, the rest are all hard seized or snapped off, 3 are in deep.

20211004_193147.jpg

20211004_201226.jpg


Bottom bugger was the deepest snap so far.
20211005_072133 (1).jpg



Next up, glow plug extraction; 5 out of 6 are seized and need a swift kick
 

expanse

Well-known member
Success. All exhaust studs are out. final 2 were snapped deep but came out easy. Lots of threads to chase and confirm are happy.
20211006_094905.jpg


Now the final push to get the head stripped down. Glows #1 through #5 are all seized. Cyl #6 spun right out like normal (joy). So far Cyl #5 is out after some drilling and slide hammer love.
20211006_115945.jpg
 

expanse

Well-known member
Teardown on the head is compete. Exhaust stud holes are all cleaned out and lastly, glow threads all clear.
20211009_190955 (1).jpg


Lower end is now torn down and quick visual inspection done. so far so good. Looking like minimal work will be needed. Measuring will be next step.
20211009_192847.jpg


20211009_192826.jpg


Pistons all pulled and torn down and sent through the hot tub. I've yet to check for any bends in the rods or measure anything. visuals look good.
20211009_191532 (2).jpg



Everything is getting bagged and boxed in the AM in prep for the shop move. Will be quiet here till I'm moved in and rolling.
 

expanse

Well-known member
Well I'm bored waiting for Nov 1st move in. Packed just about everything so now picking off small tasks around the house, old shop, etc.

Fun little one I took on was stripping down the block of the last few items. A chunk of cast broke off when removing a seized coolant fitting.
20211020_081322.jpg


Picked the threads clear, ran a tap through and was able to reestablish them enough I could align the broken chunk.

Whipped out the ol TIG and set off. First time using Blue Demon 5000T. Was happy with how it came out. bit of a wonky spot but it all glued right back together. cleaned threads and all is happy.
20211020_121607 (1).jpg
 

donb

Well-known member
Well I'm bored waiting for Nov 1st move in. Packed just about everything so now picking off small tasks around the house, old shop, etc.

Fun little one I took on was stripping down the block of the last few items. A chunk of cast broke off when removing a seized coolant fitting.

Picked the threads clear, ran a tap through and was able to reestablish them enough I could align the broken chunk.

Whipped out the ol TIG and set off. First time using Blue Demon 5000T. Was happy with how it came out. bit of a wonky spot but it all glued right back together. cleaned threads and all is happy.
View attachment 21435
Nicely done. Stuff like this is where the TIG machines are so nice. Didn't know about the 5000T rod - need to file that in the mental future fix pile.
 

expanse

Well-known member
Nicely done. Stuff like this is where the TIG machines are so nice. Didn't know about the 5000T rod - need to file that in the mental future fix pile.
I'd never heard of this rod till I did a few googles. Thought I'd give it a try. 100amps, red band (2% Thoriated), no pre/post heat, no cracking whatsoever. I'm a fan.
 
Top