2.5 NA turd to a 200 tdi swap

BenLittle

Well-known member
Callsign: KE7BEN
Great work!

As a follow-on to this - After cutting the trumpets off and welding the pins back - it still sat high. I went ahead and ordered the Defender style mounts and buttoned it all up. Fits perfectly. Thanks.
 

Tbaumer

Well-known member
Didn't have much time this weekend, but got a little done. I didn't pressure wash the engine bay when I still had the running 2.5 NA in - didn't even think about it. It was a mess to work on & chem cleaning with rags would take forever. My drive way is too steep to push, so I picked up a portable winch, secured a solid anchor point & spent a couple hours cleaning (then a couple more cleaning the driveway). Cleaned & POR 15 the cross member. Ordered Bearmach engine & tranny rubber engine mounts.

IMG_0938.jpgIMG_9073.jpgIMG_1619.jpg
IMG_7470.jpgIMG_3184.jpgIMG_5943.jpg
 

Tbaumer

Well-known member
Can't believe it has been almost a month since I started this. Slow process between steps removing, treating & sealing the rust I find EVERYWHERE - And I'm only addressing the rust I won't be able to get to later!

IMG_5579.jpgIMG_8877.jpgIMG_1238.jpg
IMG_1573.jpgIMG_6941.jpgIMG_6750.jpg
IMG_4765.jpg
 

Tbaumer

Well-known member
Rusted holes in my outrigger. I will do a galvanized chassis down the road, so rust buster & POR15 for now. Missing a corner of metal at the bottom of the bulkhead that holds one of the tunnel adaptor fasteners. These are the reasons weekend engine swaps take months!

IMG_2071.jpgIMG_0716.jpgIMG_0852.jpg
IMG_6500.jpgIMG_2558.jpg

What is this? Nothing was attached to it.

IMG_4900.jpg
 

Tbaumer

Well-known member
Finally out of the crate!
Need to install the transmission brake. I have two to choose from - One from my 110 & one from the other 200 tdi I ordered from the UK. My existing trans brake had oil inside & one return spring disconnected (Explains why the park brake sucked). It also has two drum fixing screws, instead of one like the other, & an oil catcher (?) inside. The other is missing a shoe spacer (I found the spring & nut inside) & has obviously not been used in a long time. I would think they would be interchangeable, but the expander & adjuster assemblies & hand brake cable attachments are very different.
I think I'm going to play it safe & have the drum turned & new shoes on the one that came with, so I'm connecting to what I have.

IMG_6473 3.jpgIMG_3630.jpgIMG_0217.jpg
IMG_9106.jpgIMG_1271.jpgIMG_9270.jpg
 

Napalm00

Well-known member
If you have the time and coin now would be the time to replace the lt230 layshaft O-ring and all it's external seals.

The layshaft O-ring isn't accessable without removing the unit from the truck .

On the handbrake same deal...I love my xbrake disc brake. One of the first mods I did to my truck about a decade ago. Makes servicing the shafts and the tcase easier and works better with no maintenance.
 

elbee

Well-known member
II love my xbrake disc brake. One of the first mods I did to my truck about a decade ago. Makes servicing the shafts and the tcase easier and works better with no maintenance.
didn't know that was a mod! Sounds good!
 

Tbaumer

Well-known member
Cleaned & sealed the brackets, new mounts. Feeling inspired tonight (My wife calls it something else) the 200 tdi is now where it belongs. I know there are things that should be done while it is out & it could be made pretty before install, but this isn't rebuild time yet - It's time to get it back on the road! The full restore comes after I learn more about it. Now if I can just figure out where all these hoses & wires go... :)

IMG_4175.jpgIMG_0605.jpgIMG_4580.jpg
IMG_3299 2.jpgIMG_8380.jpgIMG_8624.jpg
 

AdamSanta85

Well-known member
If you have the time and coin now would be the time to replace the lt230 layshaft O-ring and all it's external seals.

The layshaft O-ring isn't accessable without removing the unit from the truck .

On the handbrake same deal...I love my xbrake disc brake. One of the first mods I did to my truck about a decade ago. Makes servicing the shafts and the tcase easier and works better with no maintenance.
I wouldn't be surprised if that thing helps performance a little bit too as it is less weight for the drivetrain to spin. I imagine the Xbrake disc is lighter than that heavy drum assembly.
 

Tbaumer

Well-known member
I'm posting pics that will be very obvious to most. Parts weren't just falling into place like I expected, because the 200 tdi came out of a RHD. I pulled up LHD images to copy connections (That's how little I know about engines).
Power steering:

IMG_6634.jpgIMG_7090.jpgIMG_7971.jpg

Heater hoses:

IMG_8403.jpgIMG_0447 3.jpgIMG_5003.jpg

Looks like I need to get a heater that has straight hose connections.
 

Tbaumer

Well-known member
Found welded studs behind the existing fuel filter - primer, paint & mount.
Once I get everything where it belongs, then new hoses, filters, etc.

IMG_1624.jpg
IMG_2723.jpg
IMG_2139.jpg
IMG_9198.jpg

I should've steam cleaned this engine & gear box before installing. It's going to make a mess of things when I clean after.
 

Tbaumer

Well-known member
Staying with the original trans brake for now - Cleaned up & sealed. New expander assembly, shoes, springs & turned drum.

IMG_9214.jpgIMG_7765.jpgIMG_5773.jpg
IMG_4062.jpgIMG_7837.jpg
 

Tbaumer

Well-known member
Removed Webasto heater. It was disconnected before me & the hoses were dry rotted. It appears to have been factory installed. Which makes for extra wiring in the harness that I don't see in the diagrams.

IMG_3122.jpgIMG_4504.jpgIMG_9673.jpg
IMG_7809.jpgIMG_2084.jpgIMG_8609.jpg
 
Top